Tuesday, April 15, 2008

[Shrek] I'm Hopelessly Addicted

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. And not until you have done that can you truly take that first step to recovery. Of course, that presumes the addiction is bad for you and that you need to recover from it.

I am hopelessly addicted to books. Be it mysteries, action/adventure, science fiction, or biographies, it does not matter. I like to read. In fact, I've been known to be reading two or three different books at once. I've even joined an online site where I can download books right to my computer. I simply can't get enough of them.

There, I said it...and boy do I feel better.

All sarcasm aside, the one thing I don't understand is people who DON'T read. I'm not talking about newspapers and magazines, I'm talking about people that haven't picked up a book in years. That makes no sense to me. The world is full of great stories being told that millions of people are totally unaware of because they're too busy watching crap on TV or playing video games to exercise their mind.

A famous question say "Why can't Johnny read?". The answer is pretty clear to me; because Johnny's parents probably never read anything but a newspaper in front of Johnny so the mere concept of books is completely foreign to him.

So do yourself and your children a big favor and go out and get a book or two to read.

Oh, and romance novels don't count.

1 comment:

  1. That's something we already do. We read at least two books to Marcus each night, and he's getting very good at participation when we read to him.
    Maybe he'll get a couple more books for his birthday.

    ReplyDelete