Tuesday, February 1, 2011

[Fiona]The Apple Never Falls Far From the Tree

I never believed that old saying.It annoys me when people throw it at you to describe a behavior they find unattractive. My response has always been a pat "yeah,well I saw where it landed, picked it up and threw it." Way to fight back,eh? I am slow on accepting truths, mostly because no one enjoys examining themselves too closely the dirt might show through. Why am I mentioning this now you might ask. The simple truth is I do not do well in storms. Any kind of storms. I blame my mother. I am a grownup who should be able to accept this flaw of mine and move on but I have been unsuccessful.

My mother had many fears. Growing up with her was a daily challenge. We were not allowed to watch much TV. I think it had too much visual stimulation for her. She couldn't stand to watch anything to do with medical information,news,a myriad of other events too numerous to list. All I can say is thank the Gods for public TV because we were allowed to watch all the Mr. Rogers, Electric Co.,ZOOM and Sesame Street we could handle in an afternoon.

My mother hated storms. I hate storms. See the connection? Positive experience in usually makes a healthy connection in one's mind and fear less of an issue.I am not afraid of storms I hate feeling trapped. Trapped like an animal I believe is how my mother used to explain it. I pace. I whine. I eat everything I can find or sneak. I drive dear Shrek crazy with my endless ranting over the most trivial crap. In truth I think I hate being held hostage in the house.

I am writing this as a way to try to come to terms with the never ending swath of snow storms this winter. I have been BSC (bat shit crazy)with angst. I feel I need to put this issue to rest once and for all. I am going to try to embrace my anxiety,accept my short comings and find busy work to keep my mind on other things while hoping for better weather. Be safe all my New England friends Spring is coming I just know it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment