Thursday, August 13, 2009

[Shrek and Fiona] Theme Thursday 8-13

It's another Theme Thursday post, and this week we get to "mail it in". Fiona already had a post ready to go that was about this week's theme of "festival", and so this week it's a solo post by her...

Art In The Park


Sometimes cool happenings just sort of fall into a person's lap. Last week my best galpal called me in the afternoon and asked if I could please go with her and her four kiddles to our local park. She had a "play date" with some other moms and dads, but as her SO was getting home late that afternoon she didn't feel confident enough to handle the four on her own in a crowded park. I gladly accepted as it was a beautiful afternoon and I am a sucker for kids. I bid Shrek a fond "see you in a bit" and set out for Jadi's.

There is something magical about being a kid and viewing the world through untainted eyes.



We finally managed to load all the stuffs and the kiddles into the minivan and set out for The Art in the Park Festival. At my age I still get hyped up and excited about the goings on of humans in their natural environment. We circled the park a few times and found parking off a side street. The kids were so antsy to get to the park it made it difficult to keep them all together and going in the same direction.



Often when I go out I bring my camera. I like to be ready for that shot. The one that invokes emotion or sheer awe. I am happy to report that I had my camera. I was indeed awed and felt the twinges of yearning for the old days when my parents and I were young and we did cool things like Art In The Park.


nest made from tree droppings and electrical wiring after the great ice storm of 2009

There were a lot of interesting and well thought out pieces.


3D stained glass



made from Solo plastic dishware


???

There were a few recycled construction/scrap metal pieces...mad cool.







And fun pieces...like the piano; recycled into a funky birdcage.





There was art to ride.



...and some people even came dressed as art.



On Thursdays during the month of July and August bands come to the park and accompany the art in a beautiful joining of two mediums.

I offer a toast to the city of Worcester for a job well done!

12 comments:

  1. First! Wohooo. I love the toaster van...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art in the Park is a great local tradition in most town, giving artists a wider stage on which to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call Art in the Park!! Beat's the wooden sunflowers, potholders and deckchairs found at the one in my home town. Simply unbelievable. I'm saving some the images to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little boots are the cutest. Love all the pics. This is the kinda of art festivals I love. Everything is so weird and offbeat, like me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool! I notice that a lot of this seems to be made from recycled materials; is this a requirement for the art being displayed? If it is, good for Worcester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A piano? It looks like a huge beautiful bird cage! An art festival sounds very fun to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never find a place to park! And I sooo want that 3d stained glass sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHat a great idea and a great park. I'm liking all that sculpture.

    I have to say, your About Me line made me laugh out loud. It's so true of so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't think that sculpture looked like a piano, but it was really cool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic trip out that was very nice of you to help out with the kids. I like the birds nest the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fun. We have a similar thing here called "Sculpture by the Sea" (yeh we're excellent at imaginative names). The beauty of it is that everything can be 'touched' and walked around.

    ReplyDelete