Thursday, September 3, 2009

[Shrek and Fiona] Theme Thursday 9-3

We're back with another Theme Thursday post, with this week's theme being "beginnings".

When we think of "beginnings", the first thing that jumped into mind was some famous opening lines from some of literature's greatest books...

Call me Ishmael. (Herman Melville, Moby Dick)

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. (George Orwell, 1984)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair. (Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities)

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. (J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye)

All this happened, more or less. (Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five)

Being music lovers, mentioning some great beginning lyrics is pretty easy too...

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips (The Righteous Brothers, You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin')

Hello, Darkness, my old friend (Simon and Garfunkel, The Sound of Silence)

There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. (Bob Dylan, All Along the Watchtower)

I was born in a cross-fire hurricane. (The Rolling Stones, Jumpin' Jack Flash)

And now, the end is near, and I must face the final curtain. (Frank Sinatra, My Way)

But there are tons of other beginnings...





And this post is also a beginning, as from this point forward all of our Theme Thursday posts will have a totally unrelated YouTube video shown at the end. Why are we doing this? It's nice to have our own little hook.

7 comments:

  1. A lovely walk through literary lane...some great lines that make me want to go and read some.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice take on the theme. I enjoyed it. And I loved your choice of artist for your first vid as you begin to take a new direction. He certainly has, joining his contemporaries in rock and roll heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new direction and enjoyed your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is a full post! Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a dark and stormy night....
    Love this Zevon gem, but my favorite is 'Roland the headless Thompson gunner'...hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great first lines! I knew the music more than the books. Gorgeous baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First day of school is one I missed
    The rest of the photos would go well with my TT.
    Famous first lines was a excellent choice for this TT

    ReplyDelete